Sunday, March 13, 2016

Time to Recalculate

Leading Like A Pirate isn't easy. It's been a really tough week at school where it seemed that every plan that was made never came to fruition. Every time I thought I was going to get something done, something else came up that needed my attention. As my friend Beth Houf so aptly put it, "Drinking from the firehose," is the way I felt. Heck, I guess that is nothing new for most of us but it just seemed impossible to feel like I accomplished anything.  On top of that, student behaviors seemed to be escalating. In my five years here, I've always prided myself on having plans and solutions to help students get past their behavioral struggles and support positive outcomes for our most difficult students. I felt we had built a community where everyone respected our school, our building, and our staff.  This week, I felt at a loss for answers.

So what do you do when you have days, weeks, months like this?  What do you do when you get to that time of the year when paperwork, observations, testing, meetings, and "least preferred activities" seem to rule your thoughts and time?  I needed inspiration and I needed to recalculate.

This is what I did.  I opened my copy of Teach Like A Pirate and read back through the chapter on Transformation. This was so eye-opening and refreshing  and it reminded my of my "Why."  It reminded me of why I love my job so much and why I love my school. Now I'm ready to get back to action and create those experiences for our students that truly make them grow and learn.  It made made me look at my priorities and re-calculate.

This week's challenge is to re-calculate. To go back to your inspiration and your "Why."  Take a moment and re-read a part of any book, blog or article that provided you inspiration or guided you when you were excited and fresh. Read through the important parts and find that quote or sentence that resonates with you.  Take that quote and post it on the #LeadLAP hashtag.  If you have more than one... and I do, then post them all.  Finally, take that inspiration and live it.

This week I will be posting some of my favorite quotes that inspire me and then I will try to use them as inspiration each day.  I challenge you to do the same. Join me. Let's take a moment to share and inspire each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment