Saturday, May 3, 2014

So Much To Do, So Much To Learn

As I sit here at 4:28 in the morning on a Saturday scanning my Twitter feeds, it occurs to me (other than I have no life) that there are so many people out there with so much to contribute and that I really need to be a life-long learner in order to have any chance of taking in even a little of it.  Each day, I try to find something new that I can contribute to my staff and help them become better at their craft.  Each day, I try to make a connection with at least one student and make their day a little better.  I try to be a Principal Like a Pirate (thanks @daveburgess #tlap) Each day, I feel inadequate in that venture.  Much of my inadequacy is due to the fact that there is so much paperwork and minutia that is needed as part of this job that I am constantly distracted from what my focus should be.  I try to use my before school and after school times to meet these demands so that I can be there for my students and staff, but sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day.

Having said all of this, I am so lucky to have teacher leaders that continually challenge me to learn and grow. I am very lucky to have colleagues in my district who listen to my crazy ideas and help me organize my thoughts and support my programs with ideas of their own and clarification. I am so fortunate to have Twitter Friends who post such amazing and thoughtful articles and blogs that continue to inspire me and instruct me.  And ... I am really grateful that I continue to be amazed by the students in my school and inspired to help them succeed and become even better people and students.

I will continue to work every day to make my school and district a better place for these kids.  I will continue to 'fight the good fight' when it comes to meeting the needs of my staff and trying to find ways to support them.  I will continue to learn every day something new and be the "Lead Learner" in my building.

No comments:

Post a Comment