Monday, April 28, 2014

Why I Use Twitter

Two years ago I signed up for a workshop to learn about Twitter.  I went to the workshop, installed the Twitter app on my phone and computer and I was a member.  I learned about #hashtags and @contacts and I even followed a few people who I knew.  That was it. 

Last summer, I went to the National Association of Elementary School Principals conference in Baltimore and was exposed to people from throughout the country who know a lot more than I do about everything. As I listened to one keynote speaker (Todd Whitaker), he said, "If you are not on Twitter,  you are missing out on a world of professional development that is very valuable to every Principal."  

Well, I was on Twitter ... barely.  So I decided to follow @toddwhitaker and a few others and  now it has exploded.  Each and every day (I try to check it at least one time a day and even "tweet" one time a day), I find articles and ideas that the staff at Slackwood are using immediately.  It is the best professional development for educators that I have ever seen.  You can find a community of like-minded people who are continually growing as professionals each time they tweet or read an article that has ideas and programs that are useful.  

One of my people I follow says it like this, "Facebook is for people I know, Twitter if for people I wish I knew"  @julnilsmith.  

So, follow me on Twitter @JayBilly2.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know that you dedicated some time to knowing the ins and outs of Twitter. Social media can be quite complex, even for me, especially during the time that the innovation of social networking sites heightened. Anyway, Twitter is one of the best ways to connect with like-minded people, and I'm glad you gave it a shot. Thank you for sharing that, Jay. All the best! :)

    Chris Hatcher @ Red Stick SEO

    ReplyDelete